Sunday, December 5, 2010

Advent 2.3 - Hope and Music



"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

Romans 15:13

On a dark (in more ways than one) winter day, I received a card from a friend. He had placed one word on the card. I suppose he thought that with my vast knowledge of Hebrew I would get it immediately, but I had to ask for help.

I put the card on the door to the room where I stayed a few nights a week at seminary. At that time, hope was not in my vocabulary in either language. But it was in my friend's, and it must have been in others', for I stayed put.

There are times when we need others to do the hoping for us. If you are reading this, then I am hoping for you. My own capacity for hope is erratic, but perhaps we all fill in the gaps for one another. If your gap is huge, that's ok. There are people who know that, and it seems that the Holy Spirit works through them to lift that heavy word up for you.



1 comment:

Katie said...

Yes for hope, for the need of it, and for the standing in the gap for others. I so appreciate what you write--it's the truth of the situation for many of us.