Saturday, December 4, 2010

Advent 2.2 - Refreshing Rain



"May he be like rain that falls on the mown grass, like showers that water the earth."

Psalm 72:6

It's a prayer for a king, but we might hope that it would apply to any of us.

For more than a year after our son died, a friend from church sent a card to us every few weeks. She wasn't a deacon, someone charged with such a ministry, and while she's a friend, she's not someone I see often. She simply knows that grief has no timetable, and that one of the best salves is knowing that others remember.

I thought of her today when I was pondering this verse and wondering when I have experienced care that felt like a gentle rain, mingling both sadness and nurture.

And I was reminded to make a list of people who might appreciate a card this season, a card with a note to let them know that I remember them during a time of sadness.

No comments: